I strongly believe that music has the power to transcend an individual to another level altogether. I feel if there is magic in the world, it’s in the hands of someone who creates music.
There are 6909 living recorded languages with so many so many different dialects. There are thousands of different instruments. From the Piano to the Sitar to a Hydraulaphone which is an acoustic music instrument played when physical contact takes place with water.
There are so many different kinds of music that it’s practically not possible to listen to all of them.
There are so many different styles of music. Pop. Rock. Country.
But, the point is that at least we can try to listen to different types of music instead of staying stuck with the same playlist that we have. This will allow us to not just broaden our music perspectives but provide us an innate power to appreciate other things. Give it a try. Listen to different kinds of music.
Here are 5 different ways in which music is associated to us:
1. In school, from this song: Itni shakti humein dena daata
To this one: We shall overcome
From singing at the school choir, the morning hymn or the independence day songs, some songs will always make you remember school.
2. The interesting thing about songs is that we tend to attach a song to a person, memory or some emotional event.
It could be your girlfriend, a phase of your life or a song for a trip that you had. So, when the song suddenly plays on the radio, you go into a trance as if you’re in the scenario once again.
3. The Therapy Song – Everyone’s got a therapy song.
For some it might be instrumental music, for some it can be Rock, for some EDM and for some, classical. But it has been scientifically proven that music does have a power to heal.
4. You listen to music according to your mood. In fact, it is said that a person listens to the lyrics of a song when he is sad, and to the tune and the rhythm when he is happy. Apps like PinDrop Music have options to choose a mood according to which you can listen to the kind of music that you’d like to.
5. Your playlist reflects your personality. I believe that the kind of songs you listen to does reflect the kind of person you are. If your playlist contains a mix of different kinds and varieties of songs, then it probably means that you’re a very dynamic individuals with a holistic approach to life.
There’s a quote that goes – “Show me your playlist and I’ll tell you the kind of person you are.”
Music is something that transcends languages, cultures and people and can truly connect and that is why we have fans of Coldplay in India and fans of Pandit Ravi Shankar abroad as well. The more variety of music that you listen to, the more receiving you become as a person.